- Our people expect that the Wataynikaneyap Power
Project will be undertaken in a manner that respects our lands, rights and
principles; our way of life on the land and as part of the land; and our land
- Our sacred responsibilities given to
us by the Creator are to protect the land, which protects us in return.
Therefore the Project shall be built, operated and maintained in a way that
minimizes adverse environmental impacts, as follows:
- The Project shall not poison the lands;
- No herbicides shall be used throughout the life of the transmission line to control vegetation;
- The Project shall be constructed, operated and maintained in a manner that observes and does not interfere with seasonal hunting, trapping, fishing and harvesting and keeps disturbances to a minimum;
- No new transmission lines shall be located underwater; and
- The Project will develop and implement an environmental and social management plan which will include acceptable and effective mitigation measures for any sacred sites, gathering sites, and harvesting sites.
- The Project shall respect confidentiality and comply with any conditions of use for any Traditional Land and Resource Use information provided by the communities, including intellectual property.
- Our communities must maintain decision-making and ownership, and receive benefits in the Project.